Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The 16th century, from 1501 to 1600, started with chaos in Rome. The power struggle between the noble families had reached new heights towards the end of the 15th century, after a period of growth and renewal.
Under Pius IV and Pius V, the Counter-Reformation gained strength. Especially the latter pontiff, supported by Cardinal Charles Borromeus, did much to reform and rebuild Rome. Sixtus V continued the renewal programmes, and having struck down on corruoption he managed to fund them more effectively than his predecessors.
- Santa Maria della Consolazione (1506)
- Santa Maria di Loreto (1507)
- Santa Maria in Porta Paradisi (rebuilt in 1523)
- Santa Maria dell'Orto (1530)
- Sant'Andrea del Vignola (1553)
- Santa Maria degli Angeli e dei Martiri (1561)
- Santa Caterina dei Funari (1564)
- Santa Maria in Traspontina (1566)
- Santa Caterina a Magnanapoli (1575)
- Sant'Eligio degli Orefici (1575)
- Gesù (1580)
- Santa Maria dei Monti (1580)
- Trinità dei Monti (1585)
- San Luigi dei Francesi (1589)
- Santa Maria Odigitria (1594)
- Santa Maria dei Miracoli (1597)
- Santissima Trinità dei Pellegrini (1597)
- San Bernardo alle Terme (1598)